Friday, May 2, 2008

Are You My Mother?

Are You My Mother?
by P.D. Eastman


What it's about:
A mother bird goes off to find food for her baby who is about to hatch. The baby bird is born before she returns. Upon hatching, the baby decides to leave the nest in search of his missing mother. He meets several characters on his adventure and eventually finds his way home to his nest and his mommy.

Why we like it:
I remember reading this book with my own mother when I was young, so it is particularly special to me. I am thrilled that my son loves it as well. The simple pictures and repetitive phrasing catch his attention every time we read it. He also gets excited when the mommy and baby are reunited at the end. Naturally, his reaction makes me happy too!

Suggested Age Range:
We started reading this book when my son was about 9 months old and it's still a favorite at 16+ months. We have both the board book and original hard-bound versions of this story. I would suggest starting with the shorter, board book version for young babies. The original version is best for older children with longer attention spans and who won't rip the pages.

Additional Details:
Copyright 1960
Random House
ISBN 0-394-80018-4 (hard-bound)
$8.99
ISBN 0-679-89047-5 (board book)
$4.99

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: