Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Black & White

Black & White
by Tana Hoban

What it's about:
This fold-out book is a compilation of simple black and white silhouettes. The pictures include everyday objects such as keys, a leaf, buttons, a bird, a fork and spoon, and a cat. There are no written words and the pictures are not organized as if to tell a story.

Why we like it:
I think the simplicity of this book is what makes it so great. The black and white images caught my son's attention when he was only a few weeks old. The pictures also depict everyday objects that fascinate babies. What infant isn't captivated by keys or balloons?! The book's fold-out format is also unique and entertaining. When opened, it is about as long as my arms can reach. This is a surprising way to read a story and fun for my child.

Suggested Age Range:
When my son was just weeks old, we would unfold this book and place it next to him on the floor. At that age, he was fascinated with black and white images, so this was a perfect way to keep him entertained. Now that he is older, we play a game where he points to the objects that we name. Soon, I expect that he will name the objects and ask us to point to them! I estimate that he will outgrow the book sometime before the age of two.

Additional Details:
Copyright 2007
Greenwillow Books
ISBN 978-0-06-117211-3
$7.99

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: