Friday, May 16, 2008

Goodnight Moon

Goodnight Moon
by Margaret Wise Brown


What it's about:
This children's classic is a story about saying goodnight to a variety of things and animals in a baby bunny's bedroom. The narrator identifies all of the objects in the the first half of the book, and then says goodnight to them in the second half. The story reads like a poem and is both repetitive and predictable.

Why we like it:
To be honest, this book would never have made my list of "Best Baby Books" when I first started reading it with my son. I thought the pictures were dark and the story was uninteresting. However, I have grown to love this book more and more each time we read it. Now it is definitely one of my favorites and my son's as well. Perhaps it is because of the simple rhymes and peaceful storyline, or perhaps it is because of the detailed pictures of the bunny's bedroom. There is always something new to discover when we look at the bedroom scene. Whatever the reasons, this story has become a cherished part of our nightly routine.

Suggested Age Range:
We started reading this book to my son when he was a newborn. He clearly didn't understand much of it then, but I'm glad we started reading it so early in his life. Now he knows the story inside and out, and I think his familiarity is a big reason why he enjoys it. It is hard to predict when he will outgrow it, but I would guess by around age 3 or 4.

Additional Details:
We have the board book, although a traditional hardcover version is also available.
Original Copyright 1947
HarperFestival
ISBN 978-0694003617
$7.99

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

heathers243 said...

This is Jason's favorite too. Balloons and clocks, what more could you want?