Friday, June 13, 2008

Dr. Seuss's ABC

Dr. Seuss's ABC
by Dr. Seuss


What it's about:
This alphabet book teaches all 26 letters. It reads like a poem or song and has no storyline. The point of the book is to teach young children their upper and lower case letters.

Why we like it:
To be perfectly honest, I have not historically been a big fan of the legendary Dr. Seuss. Is it just me, or is the Cat in the Hat a little bit creepy? That being said, his wacky style is growing on me and we do have a number of Dr. Seuss books in our collection. We read them often because my son really enjoys them. This is my favorite. I think it's an excellent alphabet book for a couple of reasons. First, it teaches about upper and lower case letters. Many other alphabet books teach about just one case. Second, Dr. Seuss associates both imaginative and real things to the letters. This makes the book fun and educational at the same time.

Suggested Age Range:
We started reading this book with my son when he was about 9 months old. At that age, he seemed to like the rhythmic phrasing and the silly pictures. Now that he is about 1 1/2, he is beginning to recognize some letters. This makes it even more fun to read because he can point to the ones he knows. I think he will continue to request this book as he learns more and more letters. He will probably enjoy it until he reaches preschool age - possibly longer.

Additional Details:
Copyright 1963
Random House
ISBN 0-394-80030-3
$8.99

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: