Friday, June 27, 2008

Where The Wild Things Are

Where The Wild Things Are
by Maurice Sendak


What it's about:
This is a story about a little boy named Max and his vivid imagination. Max gets into trouble and is sent to his room without any supper. Once in his room, Max imagines that he takes a journey to the world of wild things. He enjoys his reign as "king of the wild things" for awhile. Eventually he gets hungry and decides to return home. Upon his return, Max finds that his supper is waiting for him.

Why we like it:
To be honest, I enjoy this story more than my son at this point. I remember learning about this book through watching "Reading Rainbow" when I was young. We borrowed the book from the library recently, and I love reading it to my son. He likes pointing out the pictures of Max on each page, but he seems a little nervous about the wild things. They do look a lot like monsters! I love this story because it captures the imagination of a mischievous little boy - and I am seeing more of this mischievousness in my son every day. The illustrations are beautiful as well.

Suggested Age Range:
As I mentioned, I think my 1 1/2 year old is a little bit young to truly appreciate this book. I believe that he will like it more as his imagination develops more fully. I'm hopeful that this whimsical story will help him overcome any future fears of monsters under the bed. I believe the "wild things" will continue to entertain him throughout the early elementary school years.

Additional Details:
Copyright 1963
Harper Collins Publishers
ISBN 0-06-025492-0
$17.95

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Anne said...

I heard the tiniest half-sentence about Maurice Sendak being interviewed on NPR. I thought they were referring to a recent interview, but this one seems to be a couple of years old. In any case, I thought you might like it!
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6139979